Saturday, February 17, 2007
Perhaps, says the Grinch, there is something more
It started out low, then it started to grow...
That's how the people from Philippi sing. One person, maybe 2, start softly singing something in Xhosa. Something that they think appropriate, that they are moved to sing. I don't know because I don't understand the words, but I feel the meaning. The Spirit is there, in them.
Last night I welcomed the group of 40 Philippi staff and volunteers to the farm and said a short prayer. When I was finished, Mama Lulu said to me, "would you like them to sing a song for you?" I have never been asked anything like this before. I am being asked if I would like this gift of music from this group. I answer that I love hearing them Sing! Thank you. Mama Lulu says something to the group and one woman, whom I don't know, begins, a cappella, no discussing what to sing, she just starts. She alone has this amazing voice. Some more voices join in, and more until the crescendo of all 40 voices singing, loud, strong, in harmony, with rhythm and parts. Then down again. This one voice leading the direction of the music, everyone just knowing what to do. It is amazing, beautiful. It is over, sweetly slowing and ending. It is too beautiful to clap to. I have goose bumps. Does God get goose bumps when his children are so beautifully gifted? I can imagine him sitting, admiring, smiling at the beauty rising up to the heavens. I just say thank you and close my hands together as if making one clap, but not disrupting the beauty lingering in the room.
As I put the children to bed sometime later, the windows are open and we hear them begin again. "Mama, the singing!" Grace says almost in a whisper. Even the children can feel this is a gift. I have been in the presence of people with amazing hope, kindness and love. They have very little possessions or things to give. They give of who they are.
"We give I Pods and lap tops and gadgets galore.
Perhaps we should give what we haven't before."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Oh, too lovely to even add words. Thank you, Ruth, for sharing this small, sweet story so very well.
Diana
Ruth,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write these blogs for us. We know it is a sacrifice of time for you. We appreciate it so much.
We are all learning with you about South Africa, and the Bridges of Hope ministries and the new and wonderful Bridges Academy to come.
Jeanne Rodkey
Oh Ruth, that was SOOOO beautiful and touching to read. I wish I could have been there! You are also a gifted writer, moving and encouraging us in our faith :)
Praying for you from here...
Krista and Mike English
Ruth, what an eloquent description...I could almost hear the singing over hear!
We're thinking of you all often.
Love, Clorinda, Olaf & Sophie
Can't believe after all these years, power walks (I've never found anyone faster!), RoCo's and ski trips, I never knew you're a gifted writer, Ruth! Following you through Bridges updates, and excited to see where our great God leads and uses you! Hi and love to all -- Lori Haden
i have goose bumps and tears. that was so moving. one of god's tender mercies.
Post a Comment