Hearing about issues in Congo and these other places also points out to me how diverse this continent is. Here in South Africa, we don't have the issues of violence, no roads, no basic facilities that others face. We have the under the surface issues left from Apartheid, racism, feelings of inferiority, poverty, aids. But we are all working toward the same end. Helping people help themselves. Development, not just relief.
Linda, Roots (he owns the restaurant) and Sanguma, trying to see his menu!This restaurant, also called roots, is in Kayamandi, a township outside Stellenbosch.
Does everyone understand what a township is? It's a the nice term for slum.
Most of you know that I have a brother-in-law who is a 2 star general serving in Iraq this year. I recently received a link to a blog about him from a sister. Ok, so be aware, I'm biased, he's my brother-in-law that I've known since I was like 16, I think he's pretty special. But, when I read this, I was SO STOKED! Elephants in Academia: A blogger round table with General Hunzeker He's doing development! He's trying to get to know these people, help them help themselves. I thought, hey! He knows how to help people, don't just do it for them, help them learn to do it for themselves, they are very capable. Now, I'm not going to get on any bandwagon about Iraq. That is entirely too controversial. I am looking at this simply from the personal perspective of an American and a missionary. How do we as Americans, as people who have much and know much, help others in the world? How do we help them see their own resources? How do we share our knowledge that maybe they don't have? This is development, it takes time, it takes being in relationship, it takes building trust. I feel strongly that it's what we need to be about. Relationship, understanding where another is coming from, not just forcing our own thoughts and agenda on another. That's a learning area for me!

1 comment:
Ruth and Kalon, you do such a masterful job bringing us along in these life-changing, world-shaping experiences you are having. Your accounts of the work are strikingly honest and loving. In reading your entries, I realize that we have a lot to learn about what God is doing in the world to redeem His people, including us. Simple answers and plans must give way to greater complexity if we are to fulfill His great commandment and commission. Thank you for taking the time to give us glimpses into your lives there. We do pray continually for you and appreciate your guiding us to pray in these specific ways.
Post a Comment