Friday, January 19, 2007

Did I tell you I'm living in South Africa?

This was a strange realization I had as our plane was landing in Cape Town. I knew it would hit me, I had been wondering when it would. We had been working toward this since our return from our in October. Madly trying to finish things that needed to be done, get visas, pack, rent the house, raise support, say good byes etc. etc. I guess we were too busy DOING to really THINK. So it didn't really hit me, until we were landing. We've MOVED here. It's only for a year, so it's not quite the same as a permanent move. But still...It's pretty amazing. Here's an adventure that I never really thought I would have. I'm 45 with 2 grown children, and 2 small children. But (as those of you older already know) life's adventure doesn't have to stop. There are still lots of possibilities.

I've not been a great one for seeing God work either. I've got great hind sight. "Ahhh, that's why I survived all that craziness." But, my vision is improving. And with it I'm getting some (note the SOME) patience and understanding. I've gone through most of my life kicking and screaming, trying to make things happen the way I want, and usually hitting my share of struggles.

But seriously, let's look at this. Africa has been a place I've wanted to go since my teens. In four months, we have managed to visit for 3 weeks, fall in love with place and people, return to America, work out many details and move here, with our 2 small children. This isn't to say we didn't have some obstacles. There were certainly some. But, we kept moving forward, not loosing our desire or momentum and keeping our sense of humor! That's key! Kalon and I were always on the same side heading the same way. When one felt like falling, the other would buoy. It was truly amazing. We didn't argue about things or find fault (with each other!!) And we made it. Here we are. Living for a year in South Africa, ON A FARM (another dream of mine) doing development work to help those struggling with AIDS. Go figure. What an amazing opportunity to be in an amazing place! Could be a God thing huh.

3 comments:

makin clan said...

this post really spoke to me. me? kicking and screaming .. NO! so glad that you are in South Africa following your heart! god bless you and your family. i know that you guys will move mountains with the help of the Lord. and remember: when you can't stand it, kneel. love you! -jen :)

claywithheart said...

Hi Ruth,
Reading your blog makes me feel a part of your journey. Hearing the details makes all the difference. Each week with the Wadley's update I will be praying for your family.
Lori

Kris Marc and Grant said...

You and your family sound like the same people but the rhythm of your day must be so different. We love to hear from you.

We finally have rain tonight. Have been to an art museum fund raiser and are doing the usual Santa Barbara things.
much love,

Kris Marc and Grant