Saturday, April 7, 2007

When in Africa...

This is Millie. She was at our facilitators retreat in January and also at our CHE Training of Trainers retreat in March. She carried her baby on her back like this, as most women here do, while she was at the retreats. When she first walked in at the facilitators retreat, I didn't even realize the baby was on her back! She was just sound asleep and Millie walked in and sat down like anyone. Only later did I notice that she was sitting a little differently. Then of course when I looked closely and noticed the cloth tied around her, I realized.
This past Monday as Linda and I were driving out of Philippi, I saw the most adorable sight. A little girl, probably 3, had her teddy bear tied on her back like the mama's do! Oh my goodness, I wish I could have taken a picture, but of course, not in Philippi. So, when I came home, I told Gracie about it. The house keeper at the farm, Rachael, taught us how to tie the baby on Gracie's back! It is so practical and easy. WAY better on the back than using a front pack. They do this from very new born up to about 4 years old, I've been told. Many use a towel or a thin blanket. This is one of Lucas' baby blankets. It worked very well. Much less expensive than a Baby Bjorn!! I'm seeing a trend here. Any mum's with small one's out there? Give this a try. They make it look very easy. Even when the baby is very young, they just swing them on their back, put the legs around mum's sides, piggy back style, then tie the blanket around. Let me know. I think we could give Baby Bjorn a run for their money!! The practical things we can learn from each other.

4 comments:

diana said...

Somewhere buried in the mess that is our home (we're in the midst of the remodel from hades)is a slide of a very young me (age 23) carrying a very young Lisa (about 3 months) on my back in a wrap that I made based on the pattern of the Tonga people among whom we lived and worked in Zambia. We traveled in Europe with it and got all kinds of stares in 1968, let me tell you. It is a great way to move a baby, leave your hands free and go about the routines of life. Yeah, let's start a cottage industry when you return. :>)

Lots of love to all of you,

Diana

Ruth Kelley said...

That's awesome! I would love to see that photo someday. So, if you were doing it in '68 and it is such a great way to carry a baby, I wonder why it hasn't taken off?

diana said...

Hmmm...could be people are just slow to pick up on a good idea. Could be people in the west prefer gadgety things over simple ones. Could be it's not sophisticated enough(read: 'needs to look more like "us" instead of like "them"' when our unfortunate ugly American persona takes over)....I don't know the reason(s), but it's a shame. We miss you!

DT

Anonymous said...

How do you get the baby on your back? I would be afraid I would drop her/him as I tried to tie the cloth around. If someone helped me it would be OK but what if it is only me? How about a demo? Thanks for everything you are doing, Ruth! Love, Mati